Saturday, January 13, 2007

Is there a signal out here? Call Larry Tate.



Jude took me over to the coast for my birthday last weekend. She got us this cabin with a fireplace and whatnot. It was relaxing.

The little tourist town was almost empty and it rained and blew and stormed. We went in and out of art galleries and little shops.



Sometimes I can't get interested in the shops Jude likes, but I try to carry a book and just park it near an exit. She'd prefer that I shop with her, but sometimes it just makes my arm hurt. There was a shop like that we went into, and I didn't have my book but they'd put a football game on TV and set out some things to fiddle with.




On Sunday morning, we had breakfast. Then we drove south down the coast, but turned back because we came to some flaggers where a 30-foot section of the right lane had slipped down into the embankment, and it reminded us of that family who got stuck down in southern Oregon, and how we'd pointed out the mistakes that led to the man's death. Here we were, driving in our slippers along the liminal edge twixt life and death.





And I thought of a potential Lexus commercial:

husband and wife, or
woman alone pulls over for hitchhiker (sexy subtext), or
man pulls over for injured elk (sensitive!), or whatever.

Show the supple leather interior, windshield wipers busy, and epic aerial shots of the car riding the coast highway in a crazy rain and windstorm. Call Dylan's people. Overdub:


"Not a word was spoke between us,

There was no risk involved.
Everything up to that point had been left unresolved.
Try imagining a world where it's always safe and warm.
Come in, she said, I'll give you
Shelter from the storm."

fade to logo. MONEY!

1 comment:

Keith said...

I think Dylan would allow the song to be used. He already offered "Everything is Broken" to Ford.
ZING!